Thank you for showing interest in volunteering with RAICES! Volunteers are essential to our programs located throughout the state of Texas. Whether it is conducting a Know Your Rights presentations at the San Antonio Greyhound bus station or accompanying an individual to an ICE check-in, each and every volunteer empowers our immigrant communities.
Since the beginning of 2019 volunteers have donated over 2,300 hours of time to our programs including: the San Antonio Bus Station Project, the RAICES Accompaniment Team, and the Bond Squad. Our community of volunteers have made it possible for RAICES to assist thousands of undocumented families and individuals, refugees, and asylum-seekers all throughout Texas. You have the opportunity to join a community of allies taking action against an immigration system that breaks families apart and leaves millions without pathways to legal status.
We use a database called Better Impact to schedule volunteers. After completing the Volunteer Application, you will have a Better Impact profile. We have created a Better Impact User Guide for Volunteers that will guide you through this process. Volunteers are responsible for signing themselves up for activities through Better Impact. Our Volunteer Operations Team is always available for questions at [email protected]
FAQs on Volunteering
How can I get involved?
First, check out the activities we have available. See General Volunteer Activities, or Youth Volunteer Activities. Next, apply to be a volunteer by clicking the Become a Volunteer button. Lastly, wait to hear back from us within 5-7 business days. If you would like to stay up to date with our upcoming events and other immigration news, check us out on social media.
What is the screening and placement process?
- Submit a volunteer application.
- Schedule yourself through Better Impact for an in-person or virtual Volunteer Orientation.
- Complete the Volunteer Orientation.
- Complete the background check you receive in your email from Good Egg and return it to us via email.
- Start scheduling yourself for Volunteer Activities via Better Impact.
NOTE: we will guide you every step of the way! If you have any questions throughout this process, feel free to reach out to us at [email protected]
Do I need to speak Spanish or another language to volunteer?
No, we have various volunteer activities available for non-Spanish/other language speakers.
What if I can only volunteer on weekends or after work?
We have Volunteer Activities on the weekends and occasionally after 5:00 PM during the work week.
Is there a requirement for how many times I need to volunteer?
No. Join us as many times as you can.
Can I Volunteer if I am under 18 years old?
Yes! We have a list of Volunteer Activities specifically for Youth Volunteers under the age of 18. Volunteers of all ages apply the same way: Application Page.
How do I sign-up for a shift?
Here on the Volunteer Team we use Better Impact. All shifts are available for sign-up through Better Impact so please sign into your profile. Below you will find the five steps to signing-up for a shift:
- To sign up for a volunteer shift, once on the Better Impact System, go to the tab labeled Opportunities at the top of the page.
- You can either click on the Calendar View or List View.
- You will be able to scroll down the page to see all opportunities available. You will only see activities you are qualified.
- To schedule yourself for a shift, click on the activity you would like to volunteer with (i.e. Bus Station Program Shift) and you will be directed to that page.
- Choose the shift you would like to sign up for and click the Sign Up button to the right of the shift. The line will turn green, meaning you have been scheduled for the shift.
For more info read this Better Impact User Guide.
Are there requirements to each volunteer activity?
Yes. For more information on the requirements for each volunteer activity, please visit the “Youth Volunteer Activities and General Volunteer Activities” section above.
Can I volunteer in Texas even if I live out of state?
Yes! We welcome volunteers out of town to visit us. Once you have submitted an application please follow up with us through email at [email protected]
Are there Volunteer Activities outside of Texas?
We do have remote volunteer activities. These include fundraisers, donation drives and translations/ interpretations. If you would like volunteer outside of Texas apply through our website and reach out to us at [email protected]